Tooling & Composite Components
Pentaxia has rapidly developed a strong reputation as a Tier 1 supplier into the Luxury OEM market place for tooling solutions and composite component supply. We work with world renowned automotive customers, both large and small. With our high specification in-house paint shop capability, we can also paint/lacquer “visual A+” quality components to demanding OEM standards.
Complete turnkey automotive composites supply capabilities:
- Industry standard software – Catia V5 (three seats on site), SmarTeam and Solidworks
- Full Tooling design – hand layup mould tools or matched die press tooling (including jig & fixture strategies to enable production ramp up)
- Machining – five 5-axis machines (max bed: 3600x2600x1200mm), two 3/4 axis machines
- Automotive Composites – Volume clean room (with 10 work stations for dedicated projects) or three smaller clean rooms
- Curing – In‐autoclave (3700 x 1950mm) and out‐of‐autoclave tooling solutions (2000x2000x3900mm), prepreg laminates or composite pressing (800mm x 600mm).
- Paint & Lacquer – (visual carbon or paint) full paint shop with airbrush room, OEM approvals
- Inspection – FAIR capability or development of applicable checking fixtures
Having all required capabilities within our own facility makes us quite unique and we are widely utilised by OEMs for initial project feasibility, scoping and prototyping. This can also lead to full volume production delivery.
Since 2012 Pentaxia has been involved in many development projects, which often now evolve to become production items. Example projects include:
- Interior components (full cockpit/dashboard, instrument clusters, bracing, decorative trim)
- External components (bonnets, wing mirrors, bumpers, engine covers, body kitting etc)
Pentaxia embarked upon our first “volume” supply to a luxury Automotive OEM in 2014, developing a composite engine cover solution for use in a high temperature environment. This would ensure no-deformation of the component whilst in service, working closely with our material supplier to develop a high temperature pre-impregnated material. The chosen lacquer system and technique also had to be developed to ensure no lacquer degradation, discolouration or cracking at temperatures over 200 degrees centigrade.
We have also been actively involved in several European R&D development projects, utilising our management team’s wide-ranging expertise in composite manufacturing and automotive composites.
At Pentaxia we have in place an implementation strategy for TS:16949 to be completed imminently.